Monday, October 15, 2012

Where I Stand

                                     
I wish I had had the will-power to eat "primally" in the first trimester. I wanted to make a switch, and was actually oscillating between primal and the Standard American Diet (SAD), before getting pregnant. My initial motivation for a change to a Primal diet was the following:





1. Severe Anxiety and Mild Depression
2. Constant Fatigue
3. Poor Immune System
4. Needed to Lose about 10 lbs.

I was told by a naturopath that I had a wheat intolerance and have cut it out of my diet off and on throughout the last 8 years or so. Every time I do, I feel better. But I never stick with it long enough to feel a serious life-changing kind of difference. I had experienced improvement in my symptoms with the elimination of wheat. So I knew going primal would only make things better. But then I went to Paris with my husband on a mini vacation. What to do? Primal in Paris? Really? My reasoning went something like this: "Who goes to Paris and doesn't eat croissants and baguettes with delicious cheese? I have been waiting 20 years to try real French food! I am definitely eating grains." Wrong decision.

I returned from Paris pregnant (that was the fun part--not a negative side effect of excessive carb consumption), instantly heavier, and feeling really awful. REALLY awful. I was so tired, so nauseous, and had gained 10lbs. What had I done to myself?

Well any smart person would have immediately made the necessary changes and gone primal. IMMEDIATELY. But I succumbed to fatigue and morning-sickness and ate carbs, carbs, and then some more carbs. Crackers, toast, pasta, rice. The only thing that kept me from throwing up was having food in my mouth. Not eating frequently, no, I mean actually  having the food in my mouth. Ridiculous. I gained 10 more lbs. over the course of the first trimester. Now I must say I did try to make healthy choices. I didn't completely abandon all reason. I didn't binge on pop tarts and McDonald's. I am talking foods that most people would consider healthy: whole grain bread, pasta, whole wheat tortillas, potatoes, etc.

But now 20+ lbs. later, the nausea is over and I most certainly have no excuse. So I am starting this blog here to record what happens as I switch to a primal lifestyle at 22 weeks pregnant. It really is an experiment for me. Can it be true that all those women out there that have gone primal and stuck with it through pregnancy really did experience fewer symptoms and normal weight gain and lost the baby weight faster? Is it true that if you eat "primally" you will have clearer skin, less cellulite, more energy, less anxiety, a better mood, great digestion, better sex drive, and just love life?

As with any good experiment it is important to keep good records. I will take measurements as well so that I have something else to help determine if I have changes in body composition beyond weight. But here is where I stand now with all of the various elements I hope to see a difference in:


  • Weight Gain (so far at 22 weeks): 25 lbs.
  • Energy Level: Exhausted.ALL.THE.TIME.
  • Immunity/Overall health: Have a cold now and just recovered from some serious stomach bug that lasted a week. Not feeling particularly healthy.
  • Swelling: Went to Puerto Vallarta (Mexico) and my feet hurt they were so swollen and the skin was so tight. But now that I am home and I have only minor swelling 
  • Sleep: not good (allergies at night, light bothers me, wake up at the slightest sounds)
  • Anxiety: Not as bad as pre-pregnancy, but I still struggle with feelings of panic and depression.
  • Skin: Dry all over. Minor break-outs between eyebrows. Weird rash on neck that seems to be getting bigger (looks like eczema but doesn't itch and started when serious anxiety symptoms appeared). No new stretch marks (I have a few faded ones from first pregnancy).
  • Body Image/self-esteem: I feel like a whale. I look down at legs I don't recognize and my arms jiggle in an unnerving sort of way. My behind apparently did notain is that I am not overly concerned about gaining for the rest of the pregnancy as long as I am eating plenty of nutrient packed food, taking a pre-natal vitamin, and the baby is growing fine. But if I am doing those things, and exercising reasonably, then I can't really feel too bad about weight gain either. My hope is that things will even out over the course of the next few months.
  • Baby: On target in terms of size and development (all scans have turned out great), moving frequently. Placenta looks good. Lots of fluid (which might account for some of the seemingly excessive weight).


My approach to weight gain is that I am not overly concerned about gaining for the rest of the pregnancy as long as I am eating plenty of nutrient packed food, taking a pre-natal vitamin, and the baby is growing fine. But if I am doing those things, and exercising reasonably, then I can't really feel too bad about weight gain either. My hope is that things will even out over the course of the next few months.

I am interested to see how I will be effected by this change. Will I notice any of the promised differences from a primal/paleo pregnancy or not? Is this lifestyle worth it to me?

Now comes the hard part...cutting out grains and processed sugar! I don't want to completely cut out dairy, but I am considering cutting it out for the first 30 days and then keeping it reduced to butter and occasional yogurt or cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment